EVANGELICAL CHURCH

author unknown, builder Gustáv Dohnanyi, 1931

National historic landmark

A little church stands modestly at the end of the park. Its position between the sanatorium Machnáč and the small hydro power station indicates a story in the background. Most likely, the building grew in parallel with the neighbouring sanatorium. The classicist composition of the little chapel and its tower lining the entrance axis is not an avant-garde form. However, its pure white facade, narrow vertical windows, and circular columns, which support an avant-corps with a strip window forming the chapel´s narthex, explicitly refer to the contemporary functionalist tendency. The chapel served to the evangelical community. The architect remains unknown, some sources refer to a local builder Adamec as the author, but the building´s form suggests the author might come from across the Moravia River. Accompanying the dominant sanatorium Machnáč, the still functional little church creates an extraordinary architectural composition of the small buildings at the end of the park.