SANATORIUM AESCULAP / ESCULAP

Artúr Szalatnai- Slatinský, around 1930

The inconspicuous small sanatorium Esculap was built at the turn of the 1920´s and 1930´s. The original sanatorium was named Aeskulap after the ancient Greek god of medicine Asclepius, son of god Apollo. Beside its name, the humanistic ideal was also projected into the new sanatorium. The building initially stood at the end of the street, which was lined on both sides by lower buildings of spa infrastructure, a manor-house and the post office, both historic buildings in a classicist style. The new sanatorium with its protruding portico was a symbolically remote conformation of a classical antique temple in antis. Nowadays, this modest temple of new architecture in Trenčianske Teplice stands in the background. However, it is a valuable monument, an initial milestone of the birth of modern architecture in this spa town. The building cannot be described as solely functionalist, yet it represents the so-called substantive architecture, which was understood as an essential transition bridge between the past tradition and the future vision, especially in the region of Slovakia. The pure white facade, flat roof and clearly composed frontage with a balcony and originally three axes of windows, were the initiators of the new development, led by Artúr Szalatnai-Slatinský as the key creator.