authors: Gustav Kulhavý, J. Tkalců, M. Fikr

project 1928, realization 1930

The group of architects around experienced Gustav Kulhavý designed one of the first functionalist buildings in town in 1928. The time, when architectural modernism was rather rare in Trenčianske Teplice. The original sanatorium provided spa treatment to the insured employees of Czechoslovak railways in 75 twin rooms. The building was transformed into a regional hospital in the 1940´s, like many other similar facility buildings of health insurance companies. A commemorative plaque on the facade of the building informs that a clinical rheumatology centre was established here in 1942. Nowadays, the building is decaying and awaiting its further purpose. Despite its functionalist features, the original building is rather a variation of the contemporary architectural development. It is noticeable that the authors were studying and working at the times of final stages of historism tendencies, so you can observe rhythmical windows, details on cornices and windowsills, sensitive ornamental usage of bricks on the facade. Nevertheless, there is also a characteristic feature of functionalism: rooftop terraces. There used to be a large roof terrace above the restaurant in the street-side wing before the reconstruction, which served the hospital´s purposes. After the extension with new floors, the building lost its architectural tenderness and balance. From the street-side view, there is an attractive composition of a corner curved inwards with an entrance into the shops on the ground floor, which is crowned by a high towering bunting.