Jaques Obiatt 1935-36

National historic monument

The post office building was designed in 1931 by Jaques Oblatt, an architect of Jewish origin, who was not well-known in Slovakia, working mostly in Vienna between 1919 and 1945. His work at the beginning of the century was marked by Art Nouveau and eclecticism, his attitude reversed towards modernism only after 1930. His realizations in Slovakia include also the synagogue in Levice. In Vienna, he created the post-art-nouveau villa, currently the seat of Norwegian embassy, and also a villa in Hohe Warte. Although the post office in Trenčianske Teplice has had several names and it has also undergone a partial change of its function, it is still a well-preserved representative of the functionalist architecture style of the 1930´s. 

At present, the building is known as the post office. It has changed its names and has undergone a partial change in function since it was originally built in 1935. However, the post office is now a well-preserved example of a functionalist architecture style of the 1930´s.

Based on an order from dr. Béla Pap, the sanatorium Sansoussi was originally established in mid-1930´s. Right in the first year of its operation, it hosted a very important state visitor - President Edvard Beneš, who visited the spa in September 1936. Later on, it was named Luxor, and it temporarily substituted for the hotel services of the demolished Grandhotel, which used to stand at the location of today´s sanatorium Krym. Lounges and a hotel café have been replaced by the post office. The house´s main feature is a seemingly historic form of three expressive vertical pylons above the entrance intersecting three rows of balconies, which used to be decorated by bunting. The house forms part of the composition of small street architecture on the bank of the stream Teplička. Its white facade and layout is eye-catching from distance. Unfortunately, the original roof terraces with wooden pergolas are being unused today. The house has a significant functionalist figure – a semi-circular hall ending with a staircase, which now connects the two floors of the post office.